Thursday, August 05, 2010

PotM miming the progression of 20th century media.


As frequent visitors to the Plaza have no doubt noticed, I have been sort of miming the historic progression of twentieth century media over the past three years. I started the Plaza back in2006 with mostlyphoto-journalistic pieces concerning events I attended or places I thought worth mentioning. In 2007 I began an interview series conducted by email with several artists I admired, these interviews appeared here in text format, my own little planet in the Gutenberg Galaxy of print. Last year I began the PotM Internet Talk show over at blogtalkradio. A friend recently commented that 'the quality of the audio (of the PotM Internet Talk Show) reminds me of old AM radio'. I concur; As a child I used to enjoy listening to AM radio at night while riding with my father home from an event, or listening to a baseball game with him while we worked in the garage or out in the yard, so I really enjoy the actual sound of the show and the memories that it brings back.


At the top of the page you will now find the Plaza of the Mind Interview Index. Thanks to new technology I have been able to index every interview for your convenience. Creating the index I was surprised by the amount of work that I had actually done. I knew I had interviewed quite a few people but still felt surprised when I saw the completed index page. I have to say I am pretty proud of this facet of my creative expression. For those who love the printed word I apologize in advance: I don't foresee a return to the written interview. I did fifteen interviews in a relatively short span and I enjoyed it immensely. I prefer, however, the PotM Internet Talk Show format. I feel that I am able to interact in a more naturalistic fashion with my guests and this just means a higher quality experience for everyone involved.

Where, you might ask, do we go from here? For the moment I have been dividing my creative energies in several different directions: The PotM Internet Talk Show, my ongoing discussion of para-media ecology with Bob Dobbs over at Episode 3001 and the never ending search for the funny,obscure and beautiful with Greg Lester at the Outer Channel Internet Variety Show. I have also been doing heavy revisions on the novel I wrote in 1997 in addition to preparing live versions of a group of songs I wrote in the mid to late nineties.

This is a very exciting period in my life and I thank all who come here to visit. I pledge to keep on pouring all of the energy I can muster into these projects. I also pledge to bring the Plaza of the Mind back up to speed. I have been a neglectful caretaker for the past year. The neglect ends now!

Stay tuned.


Twitter

What People Are Saying About the Plaza of the Mind



...[Plaza of the Mind] impressed me in its magnificent weirdness...this sorta je ne sais quoi that you find in interesting art... ...I mean that purely as a compliment!

Stefene Russell

Plaza of the Mind is a clinamen away from the holeopathic replay by the Android Meme of the old perceptual agon of electrically-programmed youth confronting the Gutenbergian Establishment. Irresistible Force meets Immovable Object.

Bob Dobbs