Skip to main content

Changes


Hello all,

I wanted to announce some changes that you will be noticing at the Plaza of the Mind in the near future.

I have been a negligent caretaker as of late and have not been keeping up with the Plaza. I have been focusing most of my energy on remastering the remaining four track masters of songs that I created ten years ago, working on the Outer Channel Radio Show and putting together two books [which I will describe below].

Over the past two years here at the Plaza I have had the great opportunity to interview some of my favorite authors, artists and musicians, these interviews have been labeled the Plaza of the Mind Interview Series.

The first book that I am putting together is a collection of my interviews with Bob Dobbs and his colleagues and it will be entitled Conversations with the Canadian Media Ecological Intelligentsia and the Side Effects of those Interactions.

The second book will collect the Plaza of the Mind Interview Series and will also include unpublished interviews with poet and actress Stefene Russell and author Jamil Nasir.

Once both books are published the interviews will NO LONGER be available at this location in their current form. They will only be available through my publisher in paper bound editions and possibly in the form of an e-text sometime down the road.

You may ask why I am doing this.

I think the best answer to that question is simply that every so often an environment must be tended to. Aspects of it must be moved around, trees must be pruned and bushes must be sculpted. Objet d'ars may be transferred to other locations as cultural loans and artifacts must be catalogued and placed on shelves so that new attractions can be displayed.

You will see that the Plaza will soon have a new look and you will also find ordering information for the aforementioned editions.

Thank you for all of your support and patience during this transition period.

Kurt Weller,
Plaza of the Mind

Popular posts from this blog

The Plaza of the Mind Interview with Negativland's Don Joyce!

I picked up a copy of Negativland's Escape From Noise back in 1991 or 1992 and it was really unlike anything I had heard before. It was like a smörgåsbord of found snippets of dialogue mixed with upbeat rhythms and lyrics with a glazing of suburban humor. The band later went on to record albums such as Free, Dispepsi as well as the infamous The Letter U and the Numeral 2 (though not in that order).

Besides their musical work the band has long advocated for the fair use of electro-quoting and appropriating of images. Because of pioneers such as Negativland, the Tape-beatles and John Oswald younger suburban kids such as myself felt a sort of empowerment to have more of an active role in our intake of the outer channel media that came into our lives.

You think South Park Mexican's Wiggy sounds better slowed down? Slow it down! You think Aimee Mann's Say Anything sounds better with the last ten seconds cut out? Cut them out! You think it would be cool to see a version of …

The Plaza of the Mind Interview with Paul Robb of Information Society!

I had been a fan of Information Society since the release of their self-titled LP in 1989. But it was their follow up release, Hack, that propelled them into the forefront of my favorite recording artists, a spot that they have remained in ever since. The original line-up of the band [Paul Robb, James Cassidy and Kurt Harland] dissolved shortly after their third release, Peace and Love, Inc., and was continued solely by lead singer Kurt Harland on the incredibly atmospheric Don't Be Afraid.Information Society had not recorded any new material since that 1997 release and I had begun to give up hope of ever hearing anything new until last spring when it was announced that Paul Robb was working on a new record [Synthesizer] with James Cassidy and newcomers Christopher Anton and Sonja Myers and would soon be playing select cities. I was lucky enough to catch the reunited Information Society last summer [see my coverage of the show here] and had an amazing time. Information Socie…

Plaza of the Mind Interview with Adam Parfrey.

I first heard of Adam Parfrey in the late nineties when I picked up a copy of his record A Sordid Evening of Sonic Sorrows:A collection including covers of Lou Reed [Kill your Sons] and Black Sabbath [Paranoid] as well as several memorable originals, my favorite being Nation Down For the Count, which can best be described as an easy listening rant.I later discovered that Mr. Parfrey was also a book publisher and is the founder of Feral Housebooks.I had already been a great fan of Donna Kossy’s book Kooks, which was published by Feral House.Feral House specializes in books dealing with the extremes of human behavior and outsider art.They are not books for the squeamish but they are quite well crafted and nothing if not interesting.I sent Mr. Parfrey an invitation to participate in a short piece for the Plaza of the Mind and he was generous enough to accept it.What follows is an electronic interview conducted over a couple of days.Enjoy![The Plaza of the Mind quotes appear in Bold-type,…