Sunday, January 20, 2008

Coming Soon! The Plaza of the Mind Interview with Ken Nakagawa!

Ken Nakagawa in Living on Tokyo Time.

I am happy to announce that Ken Nakagawa, the star of the 1987 film Living on Tokyo Time, has accepted an invitation to do an interview for the Plaza of the Mind. Living on Tokyo Time has been a long time favorite of mine. I have always felt that the film was the most accurate representation of that period of time. Other films of that era felt contrived and stylized while Living on Tokyo Time felt photo-journalistic. I also felt that the basic story of a Japanese-American man with no roots to his heritage meeting a woman from Japan resonated with me due to similarities in my own upbringing.

Ken Nakagawa and Minako Ohashi in Living on Tokyo Time.

I have long sited Mr. Nakagawa's understated performance in the film as being one of the biggest influences on my fiction and its sense of pacing. This interview is a thrill in that I have been able to express my admiration for Mr. Nakagawa's performance and have gotten the answers to a few questions that have been bouncing around in my head for the better part of fifteen years.


Stay Tuned!

Twitter

What People Are Saying About the Plaza of the Mind



...[Plaza of the Mind] impressed me in its magnificent weirdness...this sorta je ne sais quoi that you find in interesting art... ...I mean that purely as a compliment!

Stefene Russell

Plaza of the Mind is a clinamen away from the holeopathic replay by the Android Meme of the old perceptual agon of electrically-programmed youth confronting the Gutenbergian Establishment. Irresistible Force meets Immovable Object.

Bob Dobbs