Sunday, July 22, 2007

Project N - 10 Year Anniversary Special Project


Project N - 10 Year Anniversary Special Project

'Something is Watching Us!' cried Denise Stingley to her Special Boy.

by


Kurt Weller


Chapter One

6427 Words

Available [Here]


Author's Note:

I began this work in the winter of 1996 and finished it sometime in 1997. The original title was 198x - I had several friends and colleagues read it and, though rough, they all seemed to enjoy it. However, as the years drug on and I kept myself from attempting to publish again and again I began to doubt the original version and began an updated draft. I did away with many of the more Science Fiction stylings and aimed the story more towards an everyday level. I also did away with all of the Pop Cultural references and all of the profanity and changed the title from the admittedly Orwell inspired 198x to the more obscurely referenced (I'll never tell) 'Something is Watching Us!' cried Denise Stingley to her Special Boy.

Inspired by my friend and colleague Greg Lester's Story of the Month, I decided to publish chapters of my new work The Sinkers under the Plaza of the Mind: Project N moniker.

But as I began work on The Sinkers it struck me that The Sinkers was becoming a sequel of sorts to my original story 'Something is Watching Us!' cried Denise Stingley to her Special Boy - and so I decided that this would be the perfect opportunity to - now knowing how the original story will ultimately end - finish the revision of the first installment.

This will be the final version.

When it has been published in its entirety it will be self-published in book form and made available here at the Plaza of the Mind. I am happy, because this comes as sort of an end to a long debate I have had in my head for the last decade - to seek approval of publishers and send out manuscripts or to self-publish.

The modest successes I have made here at the Plaza of the Mind have kind of made the decision for me (anyway - do you actually think anyone would publish a book with a title like: 'Something is Watching Us!' cried Denise Stingley to her Special Boy besides the brave men and women here at the Plaza of the Mind?)

I hope you enjoy...


Kurt Weller


...

Twitter

What People Are Saying About the Plaza of the Mind



...[Plaza of the Mind] impressed me in its magnificent weirdness...this sorta je ne sais quoi that you find in interesting art... ...I mean that purely as a compliment!

Stefene Russell

Plaza of the Mind is a clinamen away from the holeopathic replay by the Android Meme of the old perceptual agon of electrically-programmed youth confronting the Gutenbergian Establishment. Irresistible Force meets Immovable Object.

Bob Dobbs