Monday, February 12, 2007

Controversy at the Plaza of the Mind Rages on!

From the Thursday Night incident:

Kurt Weller:

'I was once told by the proprietor of Club Devo that the feud was actually a performace piece perpetrated by you and Mr. Dobbs and I was just working under that assumption.'

Rev. Ivan Stang:

'Jerry Casale at Club Devo was pulling your leg -- he loves to chump people, knows perfectly
well that Dobbs is fictional, and probably just wanted to see how
much MORE silliness you might swallow. The DEVO guys are all major
league pranksters.'


Out of curiosity, I decided to contact Mr. Casale and explain the situation to him. I told him both sides of the story in a dossier-style note and he responded to me in a very short, yet very telling manner. He replied simply:

'Think Tony Clifton.'


Tony Clifton, for the uninitiated, was an alter-ego created by comedian Andy Kaufman. Andy Kaufman denied that he was Clifton and claimed that Clifton was a fellow comedian. He even went so far as to have his friend play Clifton so the two could be seen at the same time. Kaufman never admitted that he was Clifton. For all anyone knows, in a philisophical sense, Kaufman may not have really been Clifton.


Someone is pulling my leg and I get the feeling that I may never find out who it is.

Twitter

What People Are Saying About the Plaza of the Mind



...[Plaza of the Mind] impressed me in its magnificent weirdness...this sorta je ne sais quoi that you find in interesting art... ...I mean that purely as a compliment!

Stefene Russell

Plaza of the Mind is a clinamen away from the holeopathic replay by the Android Meme of the old perceptual agon of electrically-programmed youth confronting the Gutenbergian Establishment. Irresistible Force meets Immovable Object.

Bob Dobbs