Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Greg Lester's Grey Benign Stories

I have been totally captivated by Greg Lester's Grey Benign. I had heard him read the story seven or eight years ago and he recently sent me a copy of it via electronic mail. The above image is my interpretation of the story in which an average man finds himself in a life and death struggle in what seems to be the Arizona desert, though he himself is unsure of his exact whereabouts. Through the story, Greg is able to convey a sort of 'dusty lens mood' very reminiscent of the made for television films of the seventies: always occuring in the desert, always involving trouble. Greg's story ends abruptly, and I am unsure whether this is because he was interupted during the writing process or if this was a conscious attempt at leaving the reader disquieted.

I created the above image to show him my appreciation for his work and I hope that he continues to carry on with it. He has been putting a great deal of work into his electronic journal and has also been spending much of his free time transcribing his earlier works into an electronic format. Greg is a great colleague and above all a great friend, and I cannot wait to see what he comes up with next.

Twitter

What People Are Saying About the Plaza of the Mind



...[Plaza of the Mind] impressed me in its magnificent weirdness...this sorta je ne sais quoi that you find in interesting art... ...I mean that purely as a compliment!

Stefene Russell

Plaza of the Mind is a clinamen away from the holeopathic replay by the Android Meme of the old perceptual agon of electrically-programmed youth confronting the Gutenbergian Establishment. Irresistible Force meets Immovable Object.

Bob Dobbs