Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Follow-Up on "A Vision Of Heartache Through Teenage Eyes - Kurt Weller - Age 17"

Eric wrote: This reminds me of a random comic I bought around that age [seventeen]. I have no idea of who the artist was, and it kills me. I remember that it was set on a space ship, and that the art was very organic -- round shapes, pen and ink, with this same feel. Gods I wish I could remember what it was. I loved that comic.

I believe that the comic was called Icarus-Flagship of the Interstellar Rescue Foundation. And yes, the style of the artist, Dave Cooper, had influenced me a great deal. I had copped his 'circle-matrix' style in a great many drawings during that era. Looking back at these covers I wish I had not left most of my comic books in my parent's basement. I may have to go to my local comic book retailer and see if I can find copies of these.

The funny thing is that in researching this post I just realized that I had become a fan of Cooper's more recent work, having copies of both Overbite and Ripple, without realizing that it was the same artist who had inspired me eighteen years ago!

Twitter

What People Are Saying About the Plaza of the Mind



...[Plaza of the Mind] impressed me in its magnificent weirdness...this sorta je ne sais quoi that you find in interesting art... ...I mean that purely as a compliment!

Stefene Russell

Plaza of the Mind is a clinamen away from the holeopathic replay by the Android Meme of the old perceptual agon of electrically-programmed youth confronting the Gutenbergian Establishment. Irresistible Force meets Immovable Object.

Bob Dobbs