Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Take Me To Stackopolis


Stackopolis. I love this style of CG: The simplified perspective and the mid-nineties quality of the game images themselves lend this title a strange sense of melancholy. The authors call this game one of the most addicting since Tetris. I did find it addictive but not in the same way as Tetris, it felt more like a hyper-fast variation on Sim City or Sim Tower, and the ever ticking clock raised my blood pressure in much the same way that Klax or Tetris does when you're getting full.

I have the utmost respect for the level of control it must take to design images such as these, having tried to do so myself on several occasions to no avail. It makes me wonder if there is some sort of special software out there to create these kinds of images or if the artists have just put in the time to make it happen. I'm sure the answer is the latter. How fun would it be, though, to create a representation of one's old neighborhood or favorite hangouts in this style?

Twitter

What People Are Saying About the Plaza of the Mind



...[Plaza of the Mind] impressed me in its magnificent weirdness...this sorta je ne sais quoi that you find in interesting art... ...I mean that purely as a compliment!

Stefene Russell

Plaza of the Mind is a clinamen away from the holeopathic replay by the Android Meme of the old perceptual agon of electrically-programmed youth confronting the Gutenbergian Establishment. Irresistible Force meets Immovable Object.

Bob Dobbs