Skip to main content

Double Agent by Kurt Weller Age 35

Double Agent

835 words

This title is a direct reference to a short subject I heard at university. The author was a strange girl of moderate build, who, already pale, would powder her entire body in talcum and then accent her eyebrows and lips with a dull chocolate lipstick. There may have been a hint of yellow eye shadow that made her look somehow jaundiced, though that may be an invention of a memory working too hard to remember. She had a huge diamond engagement ring and wore corset-like shirts of a gauze-like material that she had to lace up the front and tight faded blue jeans that made her butt look wide and flat.

Her story was basically a rant about how annoying her roommate was and how she had coped with her by blasting a song entitled ‘Double Agent’ whenever the girl entertained her friends. I think that the roommate was a music or dance major and this seemed quite irksome to the strange thin girl because she was always singing or playing show tunes or something equally annoying.

I hated the story so much, I think, because of that engagement ring. I couldn’t really hear what she was trying to say. My criticism of her work was completely out of line, based on my jealousy that she was engaged. I think that the fact that she was taken, that I had noticed she was engaged before I had even had a chance to develop a crush on her had transformed all of my thoughts about her to negative ones, and it was through this filter that I heard every word that came out of her mouth.

Every word she spoke, as the weeks went by, seemed more inane than the last. Her early stories were gothic vampire tales set in the American south. I didn’t like those at all, with their hinted-at lesbianism and overwrought dialects, because they made me feel threatened. I found that I listened to her every word so intently, just waiting for her to slip up and say something incorrect, something that would violate the reality that she had tried to so pain-stakingly build up for herself through her makeups and monologues.

I began to hate her as if she had destroyed a relationship that had never existed, had never been even hinted at. I had never felt so unnoticed by somehow in my life. I would stare at her throughout the entire ninety-minute class and when she would read one of her pieces I would pick it apart like an abusive husband just looking for a reason.

‘Double Agent’ was, I think, her last piece in that class. When she had finished reading it she received an appreciative round of applause from the class. When we all went around the table giving our initial reactions to the piece, the consensus was that the story was an overwhelming success and her best one to date.

I, on the other hand, was not so nice. Starting with the title, which I complained was more rip-off than homage, I detailed everything that, in my eyes, had made the story the most boring and stupidly written thing that I had ever heard in my life. After I finished my critique I waited for her response.

I felt as though this was to be something akin to a first kiss for us. That my abusive comments would somehow set off a passion for me that she must have had somewhere deep inside. I waited for her to throw a tantrum, to crumple up her story and throw it in my face as she stomped out of the classroom, screaming obscenities at me. I thought about how romantic it would be to chase after her, offering her my most humble apologies for completely missing the point of her piece and how through her tears she would glare at me and then finally wrap her lips around mine, smearing her chocolate lips and white talcum across my face while forcefully pushing my head against one of the battered wooden doors of the University English department.

Instead, however, she simply looked at our instructor and let him make all of the counter-points to my attack. He proved, in the end, that my take on her piece had been completely wrong. There was something wonderful, he had said, in the almost inane voice that she had written the piece in. It seemed real, he said, it seemed the most honest thing he had heard all semester because it was so lackluster and seemingly pointless.

He even turned some of my own points back at me, stating that he couldn’t understand how I didn’t get it. That considering the output I had made throughout the semester I would be the story’s most outspoken champion. I shifted my glance back to her face and once again she wasn’t looking in my direction; She was looking at him with a meek smile on her face.

I learned two things that day.

Popular posts from this blog

The Plaza of the Mind Interview with Negativland's Don Joyce!

I picked up a copy of Negativland's Escape From Noise back in 1991 or 1992 and it was really unlike anything I had heard before. It was like a smörgåsbord of found snippets of dialogue mixed with upbeat rhythms and lyrics with a glazing of suburban humor. The band later went on to record albums such as Free, Dispepsi as well as the infamous The Letter U and the Numeral 2 (though not in that order).

Besides their musical work the band has long advocated for the fair use of electro-quoting and appropriating of images. Because of pioneers such as Negativland, the Tape-beatles and John Oswald younger suburban kids such as myself felt a sort of empowerment to have more of an active role in our intake of the outer channel media that came into our lives.

You think South Park Mexican's Wiggy sounds better slowed down? Slow it down! You think Aimee Mann's Say Anything sounds better with the last ten seconds cut out? Cut them out! You think it would be cool to see a version of …

Vertically adjustable ceiling

After looking at the modern meeting room ceilings of several business and medical centers it becomes apparent how difficult it is to the maintain the cleanliness of the intricate series of recessed light fixtures, hanging lamps, video projectors, audio speakers, smoke and co2 detectors, climate control vents and sprinkler heads. An average sized room would not be too difficult to service but the rooms with higher ceilings, the fourteen, fifteen and sixteen foot ones can become a challenge and/or danger.

Perhaps it would benefit the environmental services worker if the ceiling could be raised and lowered at will. It could also make for a refreshing aesthetic change dependent on whether the tone of the meetings in question wanted the cozy feel of a low ceiling for small presentations or the grandeur of the high ceiling for larger exhibitions.

The Plaza of the Mind Interview with Paul Robb of Information Society!

I had been a fan of Information Society since the release of their self-titled LP in 1989. But it was their follow up release, Hack, that propelled them into the forefront of my favorite recording artists, a spot that they have remained in ever since. The original line-up of the band [Paul Robb, James Cassidy and Kurt Harland] dissolved shortly after their third release, Peace and Love, Inc., and was continued solely by lead singer Kurt Harland on the incredibly atmospheric Don't Be Afraid.Information Society had not recorded any new material since that 1997 release and I had begun to give up hope of ever hearing anything new until last spring when it was announced that Paul Robb was working on a new record [Synthesizer] with James Cassidy and newcomers Christopher Anton and Sonja Myers and would soon be playing select cities. I was lucky enough to catch the reunited Information Society last summer [see my coverage of the show here] and had an amazing time. Information Socie…