Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Deriva_K Laboratories


I am quite excited. I emailed Audiologist K at the Deriva_K Laboratory over seven months ago and he [she] has finally responded to me. During 2001 and 2002, the Laboratory was quite busy creating audio and video created solely from pre-existing works. They had a small website [which I had the foresight to archive myself] that lasted for six months during 2002. Audiologist K stated that he [she] has been quite busy as of late, working on a top-secret translation project, but he [she] was quite happy that someone was still interested in their works. He [she] stated that there would be no time in the foreseeable future for a new website to be developed, but that the Laboratory would have no problem with me acting as a sort of distributor*.

I am happy to announce that I will begin to 'host' different tracks by the Laboratory on my Guestservice 2000 site [formerly the Kurt Weller Resource Center], since my storage capacities are limited, the tracks will have to be presented on a revolving schedule. I will also place images and text by the Laboratory there, beginning with the Deriva_K Manifesto.

I have decided to start from the beginning, with the first track of the Deriva_K Ultra project: 'Deriva_K Ultra: An Introduction [Over And Over Again]'. The following description appeared on the original Deriva_K site:

January xxth, 2002

Notes on our first release, 'DERIVA-K ULTRA' :

The audiologists at the Deriva_K Laboratories have attempted to make original art using only the basic components given them by the Sonic Foundry Corporation. Much like the do it yourself home recording 'studios' that were available for console gaming systems over the past few years, the software vaguely suggests the possibility of fame, stating that the home stereo aficionado playing around with their program may somehow hear his or her creation on the radio. One of the audiologists comments that:

'We found this depressing at the Deriva_K Laboratories, and decided to take the Sonic Foundry people up on their challenge. What follows is music made exclusively with the Acid music program's prepackaged loops and with random samples found on the World Wide Web. Like children hoping to find funding for a skyscraper on the sole merit of how well their Lego buildings look, we bring you music. Enjoy.'

*The only request that was made was that I not use the original HTML code of the Deriva_K Laboratories, the audiologists wanting to ensure that were they to continue the site themselves their would be no confusion between their official site and my archival site.

Twitter

What People Are Saying About the Plaza of the Mind



...[Plaza of the Mind] impressed me in its magnificent weirdness...this sorta je ne sais quoi that you find in interesting art... ...I mean that purely as a compliment!

Stefene Russell

Plaza of the Mind is a clinamen away from the holeopathic replay by the Android Meme of the old perceptual agon of electrically-programmed youth confronting the Gutenbergian Establishment. Irresistible Force meets Immovable Object.

Bob Dobbs